Tuesday 16 July 2013

Leaving a message

For some time I have planned to refactor the way message routine works. Since the data was largely centralized to the message class I had difficult time figuring out how to proceed. Then suddenly I had an idea while I was doing deadlifts in the gym. Who said weight training and roguelike programming can't co-exist?

It would be extremely hard to discard everything done this far. Rather than that I'll try to slowly include the new routine inside the message class so it can work at the same time with the old routine. I think it can be done and it's not even that difficult. However it may be somewhat difficult to distribute the centralized data, but in return it will give better modular structure for the message data as well.

I'm also trying to replace C-style variable parameter routine with std::string. I don't yet know how hard it will be, but I think it's worth a try.

What I hope to achieve with the rewrite is more flexible message routine which is less responsible for creating complex messages, but at the same time taking care of things that could be tedious to handle in the routine which is displaying messages.

3 comments:

  1. I get my programming inspirations the old-fashioned way, while showering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weight lifting... it's been a while since I've done that. Most of the time my best ideas come to me while I'm trying to sleep.

    A blessing and a curse.

    P.S. Only recently started reading but I like your style. Short, sweet, to the point, and easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still think I'm writing too much (often), but I guess it helps me keep track of what I have to do next.

    ReplyDelete