Monday 14 December 2009

Class as type

Class as type was something I discovered only recently. It's a simple but effective thingy which is based on heavy use of public interface. The data is hidden under the public interface and the other good thing is that the code related to that type is made modular and data-driven. I guess this is not news for people, but then again C-style procedural programming is popular in roguelike scene. When I was programming in C I had no idea you could do things this way. It requires more source code and sometimes the public interface can grow to a jungle of getters, but in this case I don't think it's a problem. In type style class getters are something that belongs to the deal, because it's a decoration for acquiring data in simple form. There could be functions that take more complex objects and operate them using the data of the type, but I like to avoid that since it creates links to other source files and classes. When there is no links the type can be used anywhere, especially without the host class where it is used as a component.


 This example is one that has quite lot of getters, but it's manageable. I'm guessing this could be what real programmers call a pattern, but I don't know which one of them it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment