Monday 21 May 2012

Size matters

Could not really follow my new development strategy. It was too harsh. I try to code as much as possible though and spend less time trolling on internet.

One of the difficult things in item data (and in generic level) is the size. I'm using relative abstract sizes for objects but even then editing data is hard: how to determine the size differences between items? For that purpose I made a visual debug routine which is simply showing items in different abstract size groups. That way I can visualize which items should belong to which group (instead of looking at the item data and get confused). Sizes are relative between object types so a big item is smaller than big monster.

What I hope to achieve from abstact sizes is still a good result to calculate stuff like weight without actually adding any static data for weight itself. The weight is calculated from material and size, plus maybe some other things like item type.

No comments:

Post a Comment